Re: Problems with IDE on linux 2.6.22.X

From: José Luis Patiño Andrés
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 21:43:23 EST

El Miércoles, 22 de Agosto de 2007 00:08, Rene Herman escribió:

> You have a SATA harddrive (Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 100GB SATA/2.5") and an
> IDE (also known as PATA) DVD drive (LG GMA-4082N). That is, your disk
> should be driven by the:
>
> "Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support"
>
> under the "Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers" menu,
> and it seems this driver should also take care of your DVD. Not sure from
> your report what you are using -- first try with only that driver, and
> nothing from the old "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" menu selected.
>
> In that situation, your harddrive works, but your DVD does not?

Okay, now it's tested as you said. In fact, in this way with only the SATA
drivers activated and ATA/ATAPI support completely unselected, my HDD works
but my DVD not.

And so...

> If so, this should be fixed in the driver, but to get things working I
> believe you may try with both the above driver for your harddisk and the
> old IDE driver for the DVD:
>
> <*> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
> <*> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support (NEW)
> [*] PCI IDE chipset support
> [*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
> <*> Intel PIIXn chipsets support

Checked.

> (do not select IDE/ATA-2 disk support)

Unselected.

Now, I have this kernel panic:
###################
#VFS: cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
#Please, append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
#partitions:
#1600 4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom
#Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
#unknown-block(0,0)

> where you may need to boot with a "libata.atapi_enabled=0" kernel
> parameter.

This parameter has no effect. I have the same kernel panic with or without it.

José Luis Patiño.