Re: Software based ECC ?

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 14:44:35 EST

Folkert van Heusden <folkert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/softecc:ddopson-meng
softecc_ddopson-meng.pdf
>> > "SoftECC : A System for Software Memory Integrity Checking"
>>
>> Personally, I'd recommend just shelling out the bucks for hardware ECC if
>> the reliability matters.
>
> a question and an idea: Q: is ecc guaranteed to detect all bitflips?

It's guaranteed not to.

Having n extra bits, you can detect n-bit-flips and correct n/2-bit-flips
(provided you use an optimal code).

These extra bits can flip, too, so if you have m >= 1 data bits and any
finite number n of extra bits, it's possible to have an undetectable
n+1-bit-flip.
--
If you can't remember, then the claymore IS pointed at you.

Friß, Spammer: W@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rtc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 9qKSiPo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx