Re: [linux-usb-devel] why was MODALIAS removed from usb kernel events? [u]

From: Andreas Jellinghaus [c]
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 08:41:38 EST

thanks, the patch works great!
would be nice if it could be send to the stable team as well
(I think a number of distributions want to use 2.6.22 as base
for there next release, and I would be happy if users had the patch
in it).

sorry for creating confusion: initially I thought MODALIAS had been removed,
as I looked at the event with DEVICE and in 2.6.21 it has MODALIAS= and in
2.6.22 it doesn't. that was wrong, I should have looked at the MODALIAS event
to find out that DEVICE, TYPE and PRODUCT where missing. sorry again.

> Andreas, do I read this right, you miss:
> DEVICE, PRODUCT, TYPE
> in the usb-interface event, and they only exist in the usb-device event?

yes, in 2.6.21 two events have DEVICE (one of them has also MODALIAS), in
2.6.22 one event has DEVICE and PRODUCT and TYPE, the other one MODALIAS,
no event has both. your patch fixes this, thanks!

> +#ifdef CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS

does this depend on USB_CLASS_DEVICE? i.e. will it break if USB_CLASS_DEVICE
is turned off? a migration plan / what shall I do so my code still works
when that is done, would be very nice. and enough time so I can get new
versions out to the users. so far the kernel was faster and I got bug reports
about openct not working with 2.6.22 :(

Regards, Andreas