Re: Thinking outside the box on file systems

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 11:31:22 EST

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:09:16 EDT, Phillip Susi said:

> No recursion is needed because only one acl exists, so that is the only
> one you need to update. At least on disk. Any cached acls in memory of
> descendant objects would need updated, but the number of those should be
> relatively small.

On my laptop (this is a *laptop*, mind you):

% df -i /home
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-home
655360 532361 122999 82% /home

What happens if I do a 'mv /home /home1'? Looks like more than a "relatively
small" number. A cold-cache 'find' takes a few minutes to wade through it all,
so any solutions you come up with should beware of locking issues...