Re: sdio: enhance IO_RW_EXTENDED support

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Mon Aug 06 2007 - 11:12:20 EST

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:31:19 +0100
David Vrabel <david.vrabel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would expect the block size to be set once per card, and never be
> changed and thus it's not logically a per-transfer operation. We
> certainly wouldn't want to change the block size willy-nilly as it's
> an expensive operation.

Indeed. It would of course be optimized so that it doesn't change the
size needlessly.

The beauty is that drivers wouldn't have to care. Things just
work<tm>. :)

> > I suspect that some transactions might require a certain block size.
> > But we could satisfy that by stating that any transfer small enough
> > to fit into one block will not be split up.
>
> I consider it unlikely that any card would want to do anything other
> than always use the largest possible block size.

I have a counter example. I have here a Marvell wifi card which needs a
firmware upload. And it seems to be rather picky about parameters
during that upload.

I'm still experimenting with a clean way to do things for this card.
I'll get back to you. :)

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman