Re: Documentation of kernel messages (Summary)

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 15:34:06 EST

On Friday 03 August 2007 1:11:55 pm Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:53:06 -0400 Rob Landley wrote:

> > > Yes. Have any of these been merged?
> >
> > Not that I know of. They seemed to meet with resounding indifference, so
> > I went on to other things...
>
> You need to be persistent. Please re-submit this.

Greg KH thinks it's a good idea to add language directories to the top level
of Documentation, and there are slightly more than two of those:
http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/Help.asp?HelpID=59

Since you think it's worth doing, I'll resubmit the work I've already done
here, but I no longer think trying to shovel Documentation into some
semblance of order against the will of people like Greg is a good use of
time.

These days I'm trying to create an html index that links into Documentation in
a coherent order (with categories and everything), and using automated tools
to detect files that aren't linked to, or links that point to a file that
isn't there anymore. This is obviously still a work in progress, but I think
it's a better approach.

> and since it's just file & dir moves and done via git, it should go to
> Linus. However, he may not want it right now since the primary
> merge window for 2.6.23 has closed (although he has been merging
> some other doc updates recently).

If moving text files from one location to another in the Documentation
directory breaks the build or causes bugs in the kernel, we have bigger
problems. :)

Rob
- Ken Thompson.