Re: CFS review

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 19:23:17 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I think it would be entirely appropriate to
>
> - do something that *approximates* microseconds.
>
> Using microseconds instead of nanoseconds would likely allow us to do
> 32-bit arithmetic in more areas, without any real overflow.

The basic problem is that one needs a number of bits (at least 16) for
normalization, which limits the time range one can work with. This means
that 32 bit leaves only room for 1 millisecond resolution, the remainder
could maybe saved and reused later.
So AFAICT using micro- or nanosecond resolution doesn't make much
computational difference.

bye, Roman