Re: x86_64 memory hotplug simulation support?

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Thu Jul 05 2007 - 05:31:19 EST

Hi.

On Thursday 05 July 2007 18:52:13 Yasunori Goto wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply. Please, just call me Nigel :).
>
> Haha. Okay. Nigel.
> (Though, San is useful for even friendly/frank situation in Japanese :) )

Ah, ok. Sort of like the Aussies among whom I'm living say "Mate", I guess -
in that regard at least.

> > I saw a patch that Dave
> > Hansen had posted, back around the time of 2.6.11 iirc. It was for x86,
and
> > (so far as I understand) allowed a person who doesn't really have
> > hotpluggable memory to make their computer pretend that it does.
> >
> > Just in case I'm not being clear enough, let me get more concrete. I have
had
> > some code for a while that uses bitmaps to simulate page flags, without
> > needing to take up those precious bits in page->flags. I've begun to add
> > support for memory hotplugging, in the hope that I can make it general
enough
> > that it will be useful for more than just suspend2. To do that, I'd like
> > be able to test the memory hotplugging paths, without needing to actually
> > have hotpluggable memory. I do have an x86 desktop I could work on, but
would
> > prefer to do it on my x86_64 laptop if I can.
>
> Current memory hot-add code expects special hardware which allows
> memory hot-unplug physically. Yes, these is no way to use it on
> normal PC without emulation. And I don't have emulation code for
> x86-64. Usually, I'm using ia64 box for test it.
>
> These are 2 ideas to use memory hotplug with normal x86-64 box.
>
> - Make emulation code for x86-64.
> To add memory, some of memory have to be ignored at boot time.
> And add memory after boot up.
> This way may need fake BIOS information. And if memory is added once,
> reboot is necessary for next hot-add test.

Mmm. I can do it in a vm; that will make it less painful.

> - Bootup normaly. Unplug some memory at first, then hot-add them
> later. You can try hot-plug code many times after bootup.
>
> Unplug code must is not merged yet. Followings are the newest one.
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=118180415304117&w=2
> But the 6th patch of them is only for ia64.
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=118180483715610&w=2
> So, same role patch for x86-64 is still necessary.

Ah. I'd forgotten about the existence of the -mm list. I'll take a look when I
get some time to do more of this.

> In addition, some of route of hot-add code can't be tested.
> Because, current hot-add has 2 phase.
> 1. Physically hot-add.
> - Accept notification from firmware.
> - Make sysfs file for new memory.
> - register SPARSEMEM and allocate memmap/pgdat/zone.
> 2. logically online
> - free each pages of new memory to use them.
> - rebuild zonelist.
>
> But, unplug code just do logical offline. physicall hot-unplug
> must be necessary for test phase 1.
>

> Hmm. I don't know what is necessary for suspend2.
> But, some works looks still necessary for each way.

I think I could get away with just doing the logical online part. It's mainly
the adding pages to zones that I'm interested in - I'd have to trigger the
expansion (and shrinking) of already allocated bitmaps.

Thanks very much for your help so far!

Nigel
--
See http://www.tuxonice.net for Howtos, FAQs, mailing