Re: 2.6.22-rc[23]: blinking capslock led, stuck keys?

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 07:26:52 EST

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

>> >...but I'm not quite sure it is a buggy keyboard. It happens _way_ too
>> >often. Launch the line above and try to do some typing...
>>
>> This used to work fine on my box last time I tried it (the switch
>> itself is offloaded to a keventd and shoud not get in the way) but
>> then they push all kind of ACPI/SMM crap together with KBC so who
>> knows... I should try it again when I get home.
>
> Err... in laptops, almost *always* the KDC is emulated by the embedded
> controller, so I bet you're right on the money, there. It is not "a buggy
> KDC", it is a buggy EC firmware and/or buggy SMBIOS which is a lot more
> common.

It happens on my desktop using an original IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, too.

The keyboard controler is known to be too slow for 80286, you shouldn't be
surprised by that thing being too slow for modern PC, at least if you're
stroboscoping the LED.
--
knghtbrd:<JHM> AIX - the Unix from the universe where Spock has a beard.

Friß, Spammer: GpQo.qz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mjjrpVo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fbb95rv3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx o@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx