Re: Intel's response Linux/MTRR/8GB Memory Support / Why doesn'tthe kernel realize the BIOS has problems and re-map appropriately?

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 16:19:36 EST

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

(or we get proper PAT support, which I think would make this problem
go away as well).

No it won't. If the basic MTRRs for memory are wrong just having PAT support
in drivers (which already exist in a limited form already, just for
UC only) won't change anything.

-Andi

Basically from what I read:

1. The MCH/ICH8 hub 'requires' a minimum of 512MB to run, the board manual states it needs at least 512MB of memort.
2. The DVT/IGP graphics uses either 128MB or 256MB, I have it set to 128MB.

How can the Linux kernel find this out/poll this information so users do not have to know mem=XXXXM?

Justin.