Re: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 12:52:18 EST

On 5/29/07, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I have already implemented this once and submitted a
> patch.

Seems you were not persistent enough. 'I submitted a patch long time
ago' is still no reason to block new work.

This is a well researched area and the flaws are widely know. Adding
this new mode setting code to the kernel is not adding a new
subsystem, it is an attempt to replace an existing subsystem. In
order to replace a subsystem the general rule is that the new one must
be better than the old one. I have not seen sufficient arguments made
to justify replacing fbdev instead of extending it.

As for writing more patches, I have been burnt once by "show us the
code" being used as a way to getting rid of someone when the people
saying "show us the code" have no intention of agreeing to the changes
being proposed. I'm not going to fall for it again.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx