Re: pcmcia resume 60 second hang. Re: [patch 00/69] -stable review

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 10:19:37 EST

Nigel Cunningham wrote:

I'm sorry to say it, but dropping process freezing still seems to me
like the better way though. I prefer it because of the reliability
aspect. With the current code, having frozen processes, I can look at
the state of memory, calculate how much I'll need for this or that and
know that I'll have sufficient memory for the atomic copy and for doing
the I/O (making assumptions about how much memory drivers will
allocate) before I start to do either. If we stop freezing processes,
that predictability will go away. There'll always be a possibility that
some process will get memory hungry and stop me from being able to get
the image on disk, and I'll have to either abort or give up and try
again and again until I can complete writing the image, the battery runs
out or whatever...

How about blocking brk() and mmap(MAP_ANONYMOUS) in addition to
the filesystem VFS callers? Or is that starting to get messy again?

Cheers