Re: Via C3/C7: other flags possible ?

From: Simon Arlott
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 18:52:18 EST

On 19/05/07 23:36, Christian Volkmann wrote:
Christian Volkmann wrote:
Claas asked for the NX flag for the Via C3 (?) processors
in another thread.

If you read the other thread properly you'd see that the BIOS has an option to enable or disable it... when enabled it shows up.

I do not know another synonym for this?

Claas Langbehn wrote:
Hello Christian,

do you know if and how it's possible to enable NX_bit too?

C7 Esther:
Hmm, I expect the NX-Bit should be detected from linux during the
boot. The NX function bit seems to be at the same place where it's
located for other CPU.
Unfortunately I have no C7 hardware and I am too much a beginner
in kernel programming to prepare this "dry".

May be a "senior kernel programmer" can easy check if the C7 runs
through the regular NX-function detection?

NX is detected ok on the C7:

processor : 0
vendor_id : CentaurHauls
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : VIA Esther processor 1500MHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 800.000
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce apic sep mtrr pge cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm nx pni est tm2 rng rng_en ace ace_en ace2 ace2_en phe phe_en pmm pmm_en
bogomips : 1601.18
clflush size : 64

I can't reboot that box just to test cx8 detection (which is missing).

--
Simon Arlott