Re: 2.6.22-rc1-mm1 [cannot change thermal trip points]

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 15:57:01 EST

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 15:17 -0400, Len Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 17 May 2007 05:23, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > > ACPI: thermal trip points are read-only
> >
> > What was the rationale? Can we get this one reverted?
> >
> > Some machines (HP omnibook xe3) have broken trip points -- too high --
> > so machine will overheat and trigger hw shutdown before starting
> > passive cooling.
> >
> > That's really broken, and write to trip points is reasonable way to
> > 'fix' that. (I'd understand if you only ever let trip points to
> > decrease... but otoh root should be able to shoot himself....)
>
> No, writing trip-points is neither a fix, nor it is reasonable.
> It is a workaround at best, and it is a dangerous and mis-leading hack.
Yes it is a workaround for critical ACPI bugs like that or similar:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/22336

It's also convenient to e.g. lower passive trip point to avoid fan
noise.

Some people are used to it, I already wanted to write a little userspace
prog to use them as it is really easy to fake cooling_mode (trip points
are modified by BIOS) and eliminate fan noise and other things by e.g.
reducing passsive or whatever trip point.

This is at least a major sysfs interface change, has this been discussed
somewhere before or declared deprecated?

It's there for a long time, why is this "a dangerous and mis-leading
hack." now?

I'd suggest to revert this and I can come with something like "only
allow lower values
than BIOS provides" patch if the current implementation is considered
dangerous.

Thomas