Saitek USB Gamer's Keyboard

From: Chris Malton
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 10:39:20 EST

I have been working on this device for a while, and have come up with the following:

The protocol is simple:

?? ?? 52 70 ?? ?? ??
??
KC 1 [DOWN]
?? ?? 52 70 ?? ?? ??

KC Key
48 1
49 2
50 3
51 4
52 5
53 6
54 7
55 8
56 9
57 Mode A
58 Mode B

The ?? bits represent seemingly random numbers that appear through /dev/input/event3, which gets created when the keyboard is plugged in.

I'm in the process of creating a userland application that reads from /dev/input/event3 and acts accordingly, based on user preferences.

Should it be the job of the kernel to do the command mapping (and subsequently create a virtual keyboard), or should it stay as a userland-only program?

I would be intrigued to know.

Chris