Re: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)

From: Francesco Pretto
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 09:55:31 EST

2007/5/16, Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>On Tuesday 15 May 2007 5:08 pm, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>I'm confused. Could someone please explain?

I agree. This didn't happen when I was just using the ide driver, why
can't libata work as well
as the old ide driver.

Read my reply to that post. To summarize: libata, prior to 2.6.22rc1,
lacked the feature to spindown the hard disk. The last discussion was
about who's responsable to issue the STANDBYNOW command to the hard
disk. Response from the discussion is: the kernel. Trying to issue it
form userspace (iff your shutdown(8) implementation do so) will now
result in a big fat warning, until these compatibility measures will
be dropped from the kernel (soon or later).