Re: Today's 'master' leaves .idx/.pack in 0400

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 15:30:58 EST

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> How about this as a replacement (hot off the press -- still
> running the tests).

Looks good, but..

> + mode_t mode = umask(0);
> +
> + umask(mode);
> + mode = 0666 & ~mode;

I would really suggest just defaulting to

mode = 0444 & ~mode;

since there simply is never any reason to allow a writable pack-file.

The fact that we have some tests that try to corrupt a pack-file is not
really a reason. Just make them do "chmod +w" before corrupting it.

But your patch is an obvious improvement regardless, so I certainly don't
think this is a *big* issue.

Linus