Re: ZFS with Linux: An Open Plea

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 20:50:53 EST

David R. Litwin wrote:

4: ZFS has a HUGE capacity. I don't have 30 exobytes, but I might some
day....

ext4 will probably cope with that. XFS definitely has very high
limits though I admit I don't know what they are.

XFS is also a few exobytes.

The fsck for none of these filesystems will be able to deal with
a filesystem that big. Unless, of course, you have a few weeks
to wait for fsck to complete.

Backup and restore are similar problems. When part of the filesystem
is lost, you don't want to have to wait for a full restore.

Sounds simple? Well, the hard part is figuring out exactly which
part of the filesystem you need to restore...

I don't see ZFS, ext4 or XFS addressing these issues.

IMHO chunkfs could provide a much more promising approach.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group