Re: CPU offline but power consumption increased?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 18:40:30 EST

"Andika Triwidada" <andika@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

[cc linux-acpi]

> Question: is that normal? I thought power consumption will be
> automatically reduced if one core offlined.

The current cpu offline essentially just runs a special idle loop.
The standard idle loop is even a bit more aggressive on some systems
because it knows about the deeper ACPI sleep modi.

There are also dependencies between cores because current CPUs
have shared power planes between cores.

I suppose in the future when a whole socket goes off line one could
implement special code to turn off the CPU further. But it likely
won't work on older hardware.

-Andi