Re: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 18:39:23 EST

Robin Holt wrote:
We have been testing a new larger configuration and we are seeing a very
large scan time of init's tsk->children list. In the cases we are seeing,
there are numerous kernel processes created for each cpu (ie: events/0
... events/<big number>, xfslogd/0 ... xfslogd/<big number>). These are
all on the list ahead of the processes we are currently trying to reap.

What about attacking the explosion of kernel threads?

As CPU counts increase, the number of per-CPU kernel threads gets really ridiculous.

I would rather change the implementation under the hood to start per-CPU threads on demand, similar to a thread-pool implementation.

Boxes with $BigNum CPUs probably won't ever use half of those threads.

Jeff