Re: 2.6.20-rt8 patch tweaked for 2.6.20.5

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 13:37:16 EST

* John <linux.kernel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've tweaked patch-2.6.20-rt8 so that it applies to 2.6.20.5
>
> The unified diff is attached to this message.

thanks - this is useful to those who are not that much on the bleeding
edge.

> I'd be happy to hear comments on what I've done wrong.
>
> 78 hunks had to be offset and 3 hunks had to be fuzzed.
>
> $ grep -B1 fuzz patch.log
> patching file arch/ia64/kernel/iosapic.c
> Hunk #3 succeeded at 469 with fuzz 2.
> --
> patching file kernel/fork.c
> Hunk #9 succeeded at 975 with fuzz 1.
> --
> patching file kernel/sched.c
> Hunk #46 succeeded at 3996 with fuzz 1.
>
> What is the fuzz value, exactly?

it's harmless: when the 'patch' utility didnt find the 'context' of the
patch chunk at its claimed position (because all patch chunks have
precise coordinates of source code embedded), but finds them 'nearby'
(or at least, somewhere in the file), it emits this reminder that the
underlying code did change since the patch was generated. Generating a
'clean' patch will get rid of these messages.

Ingo