Re: Lower HD transfer rate with NCQ enabled?

From: Paa Paa
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 12:27:29 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
This is mostly a problem with the WD Raptor drive, and some other WD drives.
I have not yet encountered/noticed the problem with other brands.

Sounds like this is a serious bug in the WD firmware.

For personal systems, yes. For servers, probably not a bug.

In my case the choice of IO scheduler affected the result of "hdparm -t" significantly. With Deadline I got identical result with NCQ and wihout NCQ. It was only with CFQ when I got worse results with NCQ than without it.

What might be the reason CFQ+NCQ gived so much worse throughput with "hdparm -t"?