Re: [patch 2/3] libata: expose AN support to user space via sysfs

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 04:03:55 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
AN is a generic concept that I feel will propagate elsewhere.

I think SCSI already has it or am I imagining things again? :-)

Though perhaps it should be in a 'capability_flags' file rather than a 'media_change_event' file.

IMHO, if it's genhd.capability_flags then the flag should be MEDIA_CHANGE_NOTIFY not ASYNC_NOTIFICATION because AN itself doesn't imply any specific event. It's just a notification mechanism, for ATAPI devices, it means media change, for PMP it has a different meaning, so I think we need to export the processed meaning not the specific mechanism to userland.

Agreed, sounds good.

Jeff