[patches] threaded vma patches (was Re: missing madvise functionality)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 02:10:10 EST

Eric Dumazet wrote:
Nick Piggin a écrit :

Eric Dumazet wrote:

I do think such workloads might benefit from a vma_cache not shared by all threads but private to each thread. A sequence could invalidate the cache(s).

ie instead of a mm->mmap_cache, having a mm->sequence, and each thread having a current->mmap_cache and current->mm_sequence

I have a patchset to do exactly this, btw.

Could you repost it please ?

Sure. I'll send you them privately because they're against an older
kernel.

Anyway what is the status of the private futex work. I don't think that
is very intrusive or complicated, so it should get merged ASAP (so then
at least we have the interface there).

It seems nobody but you and me cared.

Sad. Although Ulrich did seem interested at one point I think? Ulrich,
do you agree at least with the interface that Eric is proposing? If
yes, then Andrew, do you have any objections to putting Eric's fairly
important patch at least into -mm?

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.