Re: 2.6.21-rc5: Thinkpad X60 gets critical thermal shutdowns

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 23:47:00 EST

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Attached. Is there some tool for decoding the DSDT?

iasl. The documentation is the ACPI Specification.

> >> ezr:pts/1; cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal
> >> temperatures: 72 55 -128 65 40 -128 35 -128 51 53 -128 -128 -128 -128
> >> -128 -128
> >
> > This is a highly unusual output for thinkpads, but might be the expected one
> > for your X60, the X-series has always been a bit weird. I'd higly suggest
>
> How would you expect it to look? I did some non-conclusive tests under

I would not expect a -128 on the third position. The other two -128 are
expected, as they are the thermal sensors for the secondary battery. There
is also one less sensor than I'd expect.

> Windows, and I'm beginning to get the feeling that there is actually a
> cooling problem with the hardware.

This must be at least the third complain I come across of a X60 which boils
the CPU. The standard fix from Lenovo is a planar card swap (motherboard
swap). Since this *does* mean they replace the thermal compounds, and a
full reassembly of the heat pipes, it might be that just fixing the thermal
coupling between cooling assembly and the CPU might do it.

> It doesn't seem to help. When its failing to control cooling (temp
> creeps towards 100C while under load), its going at ~3700RPM, which is
> about what level 7 does.

Well, at least the EC is not misbehaving, then.

> What's a typical max RPM? I'm getting the impression that there's

More than 4000rpm, in disengaged mode.

Henrique Holschuh