Re: missing madvise functionality

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 17:00:45 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Oh. I was assuming that we'd want to unmap these pages from pagetables and
mark then super-easily-reclaimable. So a later touch would incur a minor
fault.

But you think that we should leave them mapped into pagetables so no such
fault occurs.

Leaving the pages mapped into pagetables means that they are considerably
less likely to be reclaimed.

If we move the pages to a place where they are very likely to be
reclaimed quickly (end of the inactive list, or a separate
reclaim list) and clear the dirty and referenced lists, we can
both reclaim the page easily *and* avoid the page fault penalty.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group