Re: [RFC] Cpu-hotplug: Using the Process Freezer (try2)

From: Gautham R Shenoy
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 16:06:38 EST

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 06:26:19PM +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:

> Besides, how problematic is this in practise (that threads sleep for
> extended durations in TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE state breaking
> freezer/suspend/hotplug)?
>
> Should we ignore this for the timebeing and take up later as and when
> users report problems?

In my case, the problem of freezer failing was due to the vfork freezer race
in do_fork. The parent task was waiting_for_completion() while the child was
frozen.

Rafael has already sent out the fix for that, but for some reason I
don't see it in the -mm.

With that fix, freezer and hence hotplug succeeds even when I am running
a 'make -j' test.

> --
> Regards,
> vatsa