Re: [uml-devel] [RFC] UML kernel & rootfs bundle with every kernel release ?

From: roland
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 04:25:33 EST

what is the real advantage to package uml-kernel and rootfs into a single file ?

If this needs to be distributed with additional script, that's two files, anyway.

the classical way would be 3 files: uml-kernel, rootfs, script - put into some tar.gz or tar.bz2

this could look as elegant like:

linux-2.6.21-UML-TryMe-and-RunMe-Kit.tar.bz2

linux-2.6.21-start.sh (containing ./linux-2.6.21-kernel-um ubd0=linux-2.6.21-rootfs.....)
linux-2.6.21-kernel-um
linux-2.6.21-rootfs

regards
roland

ps:
I've done the converse: package the uml kernel within the rootfs image,
and use a script that plays the part of bootloader. With ext2 at least,
it's fairly easy to use the debugfs 'cat' command for this.
wicked, though! :)