Re: A set of "standard" virtual devices?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 18:31:11 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Sure, but let's look beyond device detection. For instance, it does not necessarily follow that emulating PCI DMA is the best way to go for communication with a virtual device, once detected.

This is true, of course. However, there are going to be a set of virtual devices which don't necessarily have to have super-high performance. In the case of a hwrng device, even doing DMA is probably overkill.

Outside of pci_device_id driver matching, is there much value here?

If we can get a set of device drivers that if not all then at least a number of hypervisors and/or emulators can agree upon, I think that's much won.

-hpa