Re: [uml-devel] [RFC] UML kernel & rootfs bundle with every kernelrelease ?

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 07:22:41 EST

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Antoine Martin wrote:
> Jeff Dike wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 08:58:45PM +0100, Antoine Martin wrote:
> >> I reckon that one critical thing which could drastically increase the
> >> user base would be to have a working virtual framebuffer implementation.
> >
> > Why? I've never understood what a framebuffer gives you that you
> > don't have now.
> Just like the network auto-configuration via dhcp, it would allow users
> to download images+kernel and run them like appliances without
> understanding anything about X or UML, just click and run.
> We are all capable of setting up Xvfb here, but most users are not,
> which is why they download ready-made images.
> It would also make it a lot easier to focus on writing a management UI,
> hell if there isn't one shortly after, I'll do one myself!
> Think of a UML browser image (running IE via wine in a limited image
> with just X + wine + IE - I would much prefer that to having wine+IE
> installed locally), testing framebuffer apps like gtk-fb/cairo-fb
> without risking your dev environment, etc...

There are patches floating around for a UML frame buffer device.
Gerd Kraxel^H^H^H^H^H^HHoffmann did one using plain X11, which worked
great when I gave it a try.

A few years ago I tried doing one myself using gdk/gtk, but it didn't
work reliably on all systems. My main motivation was doing development for
different frame buffer memory organizations (think Amiga and Atari bitplanes)
on UML.

I suggest taking a look at Gerd's patches. IIRC, he posted them to lkml
last year.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds