Re: plain 2.6.21-rc5 (1) vs amanda (0)

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Apr 01 2007 - 11:42:28 EST

On Sunday 01 April 2007, Ray Lee wrote:
>On 3/31/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This effect I have isolated down to something in the 31 patches from
>> 2.6.20.4 to 2.6.20.5-rc1, but I'm going to need additional guidance in
>> setting up the bisect to find it. If indeed its a kernel problem.
>
>First, set up a *small* test case, for your own sanity as well as
>ours. (Set up a new backup job that does just part of your home
>directory, for example. No, even better, just one file.) Then verify
>that the small test case also fails the same was that you noticed your
>big one does between 2.6.20.3 and 2.6.20.4.

That will require I setup a vtape someplace else on the system.
Later, I find the vtapes locations etc are hardcoded into the amanda
executables, so I'm going to have to rebuild and reinstall amanda after
copying my regular config driver to a backup version. Not terribly
difficult, but I will have to shut down the user amanda's crontab entry
till we are done with the testing. This is all part of amanda's security
model.

Ok, got that done. All logs and such will be to a different location so as
not to disturb the normal backup once it has been resumed. The disklist
has been stripped down to /home. I guess its time to reboot and test
run. I'll reply to this message's thread with the results.

>Then, download everything in http://madrabbit.org/~ray/2.6.20.4 . That
>has all the patches that Greg has in git, but your git is ancient so
>let's just use the patches, hmm?

My git & quilt is now the latest from the FC6 repos.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)