Re: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 17:26:49 EST

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 00:04:45 +0530
"Amit K. Arora" <aarora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is to give a heads up on few patches that we will be soon coming up
> with. These patches implement a new system call sys_fallocate() and a
> new inode operation "fallocate", for persistent preallocation. The new
> system call, as Andrew suggested, will look like:
>
> asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, loff_t offset, loff_t len);

It is intended that glibc use this same syscall for both posix_fallocate()
and posix_fallocate64().

I'd agree with Eric on the "command" flag extension.

That new argument might need to come after "fd" - ARM has funny requirements on
syscall arg padding and layout.

> +asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, loff_t offset, loff_t len)
> +{
> + struct file *file;
> + struct inode *inode;
> + long ret = -EINVAL;
> + file = fget(fd);
> + if (!file)
> + goto out;
> + inode = file->f_path.dentry->d_inode;
> + if (inode->i_op && inode->i_op->fallocate)
> + ret = inode->i_op->fallocate(inode, offset, len);
> + else
> + ret = -ENOTTY;
> + fput(file);
> +out:
> + return ret;
> +}

Please always put a blank line between the variable definitions and the
first statement.

Please always use hard tabs, not bunch-of-spaces. This seems to happening
rather a lot in the ext4 patches. It's a trivial thing, but also trivial
to fix. A grep across the diffs is needed.

ENOTTY is a bit unconventional - we often use EINVAL for this sort of
thing. But EINVAL has other meanings for posix_fallocate() and isn't
really appropriate here anyway. So I'm not sure what would be better...