Re: MOST(Media Oriented Systems Transport) Interface?

From: Bernhard Walle
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 16:00:33 EST

Hello,

* Robin Getz <rgetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2007-03-01 16:16]:
> On Wed 28 Feb 2007 19:11, Bernhard Walle pondered:
> > * Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@xxxxxx> [2007-03-01 00:22]:
> > > This might be what you are looking for:
> > >
> > > http://most4linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> That's it - thanks for the pointer & Bernhard - thanks for the work.
>
> What is the plan for this? It looks like you did the work on 2.6.14, what is
> the plan going forward? Is this something that you or anyone else wants to
> maintain/support newer devices on?

Most testing was done on 2.6.16. It definitively works with 2.6.17. I
just fixed it a few days ago to compile on 2.6.21 (ALSA was changed a
bit ;)). For the other statements, Gernot Hillier jumped in ...

> > It only supports synchronous data transfer. The Most NetServices are
> > in userspace. There's a OpenSource demonstration available, but no
> > full NetServices implementation. You can buy a license from SMC or use
> > the specification to re-write an OSS implementation. However, that's
> > all userspace, so no GPL problem here. :)
>
> Is there any effort on making an open source NetServices implementation?

BTW: There _are_ patents on MOST, I think mostly NetServices, so it
might be difficult. :( But IANAL.

Regards,
Bernhard
--
OpenPGP Schlüssel-ID: B69454FD (kurz) / E8951E8FB69454FD (lang)
Fingerprint: F3BE B2A7 8161 2986 ABA4 9AB9 E895 1E8F B694 54FD