Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 04:49:50 EST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:26:34AM +0100, Pavel Machek (pavel@xxxxxx) wrote:
> > > 10% gain in speed is NOT worth major complexity increase.
> >
> > Should I create a patch to remove rb-tree implementation?
>
> If you can replace them with something simpler, and no worse than 10%
> slower in worst case, then go ahead. (We actually tried to do that at
> some point, only to realize that efence stresses vm subsystem in very
> unexpected/unfriendly way).

Agh, only 10% in the worst case.
I think you can not even imagine what tricks network uses to get at
least aditional 1% out of the box.
Using such logic you can just abandon any further development, since it
work as is right now.

> > That practice is stupid IMO.
>
> Too bad. Now you can start Linux fork called Eugenix.
>
> (But really, Linux is not "maximum performance at any cost". Linux is
> "how fast can we get that while keeping it maintainable?").

Should I read it like: we do not understand what it is and thus we do
not want it?

> That is why, while arguing syslets vs. kevents, you need need to argue
> not "kevents are faster because they avoid context switch overhead",
> but "kevents are _so much_ faster that it is worth the added
> complexity". And Ingo seems to showing you they are not _so much_
> faster.

Threadlets behave much worse without event driven model, events can
behave worse without backed threads, they are mutually compensating.

I posted kevent/epoll benchmarks and related design issues too many
times both with handmade applications (which might be broken as hell)
and popular open-source servers to repeat them again.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov