Re: (Sparc64) 2.6.20 seems to ignore initramfs

From: Andrew Walrond
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 09:46:41 EST

On Friday 23 February 2007 13:32, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Andrew Walrond schrieb:
> > On a Sun T1000 I am trying to boot 2.6.20 using initramfs. (I use the
> > same procedure successfully on x86_64 and itanium2 servers).
> >
> > The relevent silo section looks like this:
> >
> > image=/boot/2.6.20.image
> > label=2.6.20
> > initrd=/boot/2.6.20.initramfs
> > partition=2
> > read-only
> >
> > The kernel loads and boots and I see
>
> (...)
>
> > So it knows about the initramfs, but then tries to mount a root
> > filesystem instead...
> >
> > I haven't tried this (initramfs) with earlier kernels, so I don't know
> > whether this is a regression. Any clues about how to solve this would be
> > greatly appreciated.
>
> Does it make a difference if you embed initramfs directly in the kernel?
>
> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/path/to/your/initramfs/directory"

Hi Tomasz. I can't tell; The combined kernel+initramfs is bigger than the 8Mb
silo allocates for the kernel, and it does this:

boot: chunky
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
/
Fatal error: Image too large to fit in destination

Fatal error: Image too large to fit in destination

Error loading /boot/chunky

Image not found.... try again

I don't see any silo config options to increase this value in the docs.

Good idea though :)

Andrew Walrond