Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Alan
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 06:36:30 EST

> Do you not understand that real user code touches FPU state at
> unpredictable (to the kernel) junctures? Maybe not in a database or a

We don't care. We don't have to care. The kernel threadlets don't execute
in user space and don't do FP.

> web server, but in the GUIs and web-based monitoring applications that
> are 99% of the potential customers for kernel AIO? I have no idea
> what a %cr3 is, but if you don't fence off thread-local stuff from the

How about you go read the intel architecture manuals then you might know
more.

> > We don't have an errno in the kernel because its a stupid idea. Errno is
> > a user space hack for compatibility with 1970's bad design. So its not
> > relevant either.
>
> Dude, it's thread-local, and the glibc wrapper around most synchronous

Last time I checked glibc was in userspace and the interface for kernel
AIO is a matter for the kernel so errno is irrelevant, plus any
threadlets doing system calls will only be living in kernel space anyway.