Re: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 02:41:52 EST

Jean Delvare wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:19:44 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
Ah, Fedora has this horror in its initscripts (which explains why I missed
it in my grep)..

# Initialize ACPI bits
if [ -d /proc/acpi ]; then
for module in /lib/modules/$unamer/kernel/drivers/acpi/* ; do
module=${module##*/}
module=${module%.ko}
modprobe $module >/dev/null 2>&1
done
fi

Ah, this also explains why the i2c_ec and sbs drivers were loaded on
Chuck's system, although they were not needed.

This is there because there's no clean way for userspace to know whether
to load the system specific stuff right now. Bill Nottingham pointed
out that we could add a /sys/class/dmi/modalias and appropriate MODULE_DMI
tags to the various modules like asus_acpi to make udev autoload them.

Something similiar should be doable for i2c_ec, as it's only useful if a
given ACPI object is present. sbs, in turn, is only useful if i2c_ec is
loaded.

I'm thinking that it might be an idea to also use this idea of udev autoloading through DMI info for the abituguru and abituguru3 driver (review please). The both only support about 12 motherboards. For the abituguru driver, dmi info could also be used to automatically set the module options needed on the 2 oldest uguru featuring abit motherboards. What do you think about this?

Regards,

Hans