Re: Modprobe as script breaks initramfs kernel?

From: Deepak Saxena
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 22:44:41 EST

On Feb 22 2007, at 19:44, Jan Engelhardt was caught saying:

> On Feb 22 2007 14:30, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> >Deepak Saxena wrote:
> >> We attempted an experiment in cleaning up some modprobe messages during
> >> initramfs bootup when the modules directory is missing by moving modprobe
> >> to modprobe-bin and replacing modprobe with the following simple shell script:
> >>
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >> # Clean up bootup when modules are not present
> >>
> >> if [ -e "/lib/modules/'uname -r'/modules.dep" ] ; then
> >> /sbin/modprobe-bin $*
>
> The nitpick guide says: `uname -r` and "$@" instead of $* ;-)

Yeah. The quotes were a typo in my email. :)

> >This is the same issue I reported much earlier with /sbin/hotplug being a script
> >in initrfamfs. The problem is because pipefs isn't initialized yet at the time
> >the script gets called, and causes a NULL-pointer deref. Obviously you're using
> >pipe above.
>
> Btw, has this pipefs issue been adressed (by moving pipefs before initramfs
> stage), or something?

If it hasn't, it's now on my todo list.

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@xxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.plexity.net

In the end, they will not say, "those were dark times," they will ask
"why were their poets silent?" - Bertolt Brecht