Re: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 19:26:33 EST

Rolf Offermanns wrote:
I hear the same strange noise on poweroff (2.6.20 vanilla). This is what I
get on my system with ATA_DEBUG and ATA_VERBOSE_DEBUG both defined. The
system will *not* poweroff with "halt -f" so there was no noise!

md: stopping all md devices.
Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sda:
ata_scsi_dump_cdb: CDB (1:0,0,0) 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
ata_scsi_translate: ENTER
ata1: ata_dev_select: ENTER, ata1: device 0, wait 1
ata_tf_load_pio: device 0xA0
ata_exec_command_pio: ata1: cmd 0xE7
ata_scsi_translate: EXIT
ata_host_intr: ata1: protocol 1 task_state 2
ata_hsm_move: ata1: protocol 1 task_state 2 (dev_stat 0x50)
ata_hsm_move: ata1: dev 0 command complete, drv_stat 0x50
System halted.

If I do a sysrq-o right after this, the above message repeate once more and
the system turns off w/o the disturbing noise.

For the next messages, I booted the system completely (no init=/bin/sh) and
did a "poweroff" at the console prompt after the boot was completed. This
time the noise was there.

From these traces you can clearly see that no STANDBY IMMEDIATE (command code 0xE0) was issued before the power-off, which is what would prevent this problem.

If you wait long enough after halting before you power down, you may not get the noise, since many laptop drives unload the heads after a fairly short period of inactivity, and so the heads are already unloaded when the power is shut off.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx