Re: [RFC/PATCH] slab: free pages in a batch in drain_freelist

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 18:35:36 EST

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Pekka J Enberg wrote:

> As suggested by William, free the actual pages in a batch so that we
> don't keep pounding on l3->list_lock.

This means holding the l3->list_lock for a prolonged time period. The
existing code was done this way in order to make sure that the interrupt
holdoffs are minimal.

There is no pounding. The cacheline with the list_lock is typically held
until the draining is complete. While we drain the freelist we need to be
able to respond to interrupts.