Re: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers

From: Alan
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 18:15:37 EST

> Oh yeah? For IRIX in 1991? Or for that matter, for Linux/ARM EABI
> today? Tell me, how many of what sort of users do you support

Solaris (NTL - very large ISP/Telco), Dec server 5000 (for fun), Irix (and
linux cross for Irix removal), MIPS embedded (including the port to Linux
of Algorithmics toolchain) for Sonix then 3COM routers.

It's not a hard problem. gcc 2.x wasn't too hot on MIPS but it worked
although the Irix compiler generated vastly better code (and AFAIK still
does).

There are folks who maintain cross devel chains for just about every
Linux platform specifically for testing and while it isn't a small job
they do seem to be coping quite happily.

> CodeSourcery and MontaVista and Red Hat stay in business? Not with
> the quality of their code or their customer service, I'll tell you
> that -- although Mark Mitchell is probably the best release manager

Lots of people would disagree with you about that (and independant
surveys would back the disagreement), like they would disagree with you
about most things.

> that any GNU project has ever had.

> me off, and in the meantime, you know where to find your keyboard's
> "stick my fingers in my ears and shout la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" key.
> :-)

I was hoping you'd take the pseudo-legal noise elsewhere.