Re: -freg-struct-return?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 13:50:10 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:39:04AM -0800, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Sometimes returning small structures is really nice. If you can pass
them in registers, it's often generates the fastest possible code;
much better than using a pointer.
Yes, but specifically, are there any pieces of assembler which return
structures? It appears there are none (since Ingo got a booting
kernel), but there might be something obscure in some corner.

When I did the x86-64 port I went over all assembler and I can't remember
anything that did that. Of course there might be out of tree drivers
that do, but they just have to fix it up.

BTW would it make sense to have a special announcement list for such changes?

To some degree linux-arch would be a good list for it, but it's closed, even to monitor.

-hpa