Re: Serial related oops

From: Paul Fulghum
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 12:33:28 EST

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 03:02:46PM +0000, Jose Goncalves wrote:
What I find real hard to understand is why a hardware fault happens
always in the same software instruction! I would expect a hardware fault
to hit randomly...

I've experienced just such a hardware fault.

The Infineon DSCC4 serial controller has a hardware bug
in the PCI request/grant handling that can lead to the
device driving the PCI bus in conflict with another device.

While the results were random (as the oops in this problem
seem to be), the trigger was always activating certain
devices in combination.

In your case, altering the timing/behavior of the serial
device during open may be provoking the hardware fault.

--
Paul Fulghum
Microgate Systems, Ltd.