Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 09:54:34 EST

David Miller wrote:
From: Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:39:30 +0300

It does not matter - even with threads cost of having thousands of
threads is _too_ expensive. So, IMO, it is wrong to have to create 20k threads for the simple web server which only sends one index page to
80k connections with 4k connections per seconds rate.

Just have that example in mind - more than 20k blocks in 80k connections over gigabit lan, and it is likely optimistic result, when designing new type of AIO.

I totally agree with Evgeniy on these points.

Using things like syslets and threadlets for networking I/O
is not a very good idea. Blocking is more the norm than the
exception for networking I/O.

And for O_DIRECT, and for large storage systems which overwhelm caches. The optimize for the nonblocking case approach does not fit all workloads. And of course we have to be able to mix mostly-nonblocking threadlets and mostly-blocking O_DIRECT and networking.