Re: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)

From: Alan
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 07:50:58 EST

> However, i'm not still sure i enabled as much debugging info as i
> could in the kernel configuration. If you need more, please point me
> to precise configuration options.

You grabbed a lot of junk but you did grab this line

[17179682.560000] Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sda:

Which means sd_sync_cache got called and flushed the data to disk.

I don't think you can do the other needed debugging without a recompile.

The following will generate a vast amount of debug of which only the end
matters. You may well want to build a kernel this way, boot it with
init=/bin/sh and then at the shell prompt do "halt -f" so you don't get
too much debug

In include/linux/libata.h change

#undef ATA_DEBUG /* debugging output */
#undef ATA_VERBOSE_DEBUG /* yet more debugging output */

so both of the undef-s read define

#define ATA_DEBUG
#define ATA_VERBOSE_DEBUG

and recompile