Re: request_module: runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1 (is Re: Linux 2.6.21-rc1)

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 01:09:59 EST

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 12:34:17PM +0900, YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@ wrote:
> In article <20070222.110440.47345562.yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (at Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:04:40 +0900 (JST)), YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@ <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> says:

> > > /sbin/hotplug needs some module, but request_module() call /sbin/hotplug loop?
> > > Hm.. does the patch fix the problem?
> >
> > Yes, it absolutely fixes the issue.
>
> Several options:
>
> - To revert the changeset to blame

No.

> - To apply Ogawa-san's (or other appropriate) patch

His patch just avoids the issue, but isn't correct.

> - To select UNIX in init/Kconfig:KMOD

I like this one, but some people might still want it as a module (I
really don't know why, does anyone else???)

> I think it would be a good idea to rate-limit frequency of requesing a
> single module, anyway.

Yes, if we can detect the loop, that would be best.

Or, maybe the easiest thing is to just not do the netlink call if it's
asking for the network module? :)

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

thanks,

greg k-h