Re: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 21:43:49 EST

Alan wrote:
Stick some printk calls in drivers/ata/libata-eh.c in ata_eh_suspend, or
turn on all the ATA debug and shutdown, the code should issue a cache
flush followed by a standbynow1 command for each disk.

Alan

I believe it runs on suspend, but we don't run that code on normal shutdown, do we?

Tejun Heo had a patch for sd that could (optionally) trigger a START STOP UNIT command to spin the disk down after synchronizing the cache before shutdown, but I haven't heard anything of it lately..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx