Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] no backlight on radeon after recent kernel "upgrade"s

From: Joel Becker
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 21:10:59 EST

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 01:11:18AM +0000, James Simmons wrote:
> > *$> grep BACKLIGH /boot/config-2.6.20
> > # CONFIG_FB_BACKLIGHT is not set
> > CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y
> > CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=m
> > CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_DEVICE=y
>
> You need to explictly enable the backlight for your fbdev driver. It
> doesn't do the selecting magically for you.
> Jus do a make "favorite"config and go to the fbdev menu and select the
> backlight option for your fbdev driver.

I would think that we'd always want to enable the backlight.
How are people supposed to Just Know that the kernel defaults to a black
LCD?

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #407

"Every once in a while, take the scenic route."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@xxxxxxxxxx