Re: no backlight on radeon after recent kernel "upgrade"s

From: Alex Romosan
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 17:26:04 EST

Richard Purdie <rpurdie@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 00:04 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:46:16 -0500 Yaroslav Halchenko <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Since the most recent successful for me kernel 2.6.19-rc6-mm1, I've
>> > tried few times to build more recent snapshots and now finally
>> > 2.6.20-mm2. In all those cases I have a sad outcome -- kernel boots but
>> > at some point during boot (few moments after Penguin icon in the top left
>> > corner appears), light turns off... I still can see something, especially
>> > if I light a strong flashlight at a sharp angle.
>> >
>> > I've enabled back-light support and lcd support for those unsuccessful
>> > kernels (with all backlight support features disabled kernel boots
>> > ok and backlight shines as bright as always)
>>
>> Is 2.6.20 broken? I assume the latest 2.6.20-gitN snapshot are failing..
>
> It would be extremely useful to know which kernel versions you tested
> and which ones failed. There are a number of backlight changes which are
> just in 2.6.20-mm1 and -mm2 which it would be useful to rule out or
> identify as the cause.

i have exactly the same problem with 2.6.21-rc1 on a thinkpad t40
with an ati radeon card. the machine boots up but the backlight never
comes on. 2.6.20 worked okay.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
| advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with |