Re: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?

From: Dave Jones
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 15:22:26 EST

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 12:37:40PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 05:17:37PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > > Something is pulling in asus_acpi as a dependancy. I've never
> > > figured out what the cause is. For a long time I was thinking
> > > that we had an explicit modprobe for it in an initscript, but
> > > grepping for it in /etc turns up zip.
> >
> > How could it be, given that asus_acpi doesn't export any symbol?
>
> If I knew I'd have fixed it by now.

Ah, Fedora has this horror in its initscripts (which explains why I missed
it in my grep)..

# Initialize ACPI bits
if [ -d /proc/acpi ]; then
for module in /lib/modules/$unamer/kernel/drivers/acpi/* ; do
module=${module##*/}
module=${module%.ko}
modprobe $module >/dev/null 2>&1
done
fi

This is there because there's no clean way for userspace to know whether
to load the system specific stuff right now. Bill Nottingham pointed
out that we could add a /sys/class/dmi/modalias and appropriate MODULE_DMI
tags to the various modules like asus_acpi to make udev autoload them.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk